[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

So, Keurig has a new k-cup coffee brewer, and I decided to pick one up for my mom, whose previous one had broken.

The "2.0" version has a scanner that scans a barcode on official k-cups before it will allow them to be brewed, meaning that cheaper brands of coffee cannot be used, nor can any reusable k-cups for custom coffees.

Is this what the world has come to? Fucking DRM on coffee? I'm returning that piece of shit tomorrow.
I'd heard about that online. Seems counter-intuitive as hell. Seems to me like it wouldn't make people more likely to buy Keurig supplies, it'd make people more likely to avoid Keurig altogether.

Seriously, fuck that. My Gevalia coffee maker doesn't care if I use Gevalia beans, 8 O'Clock beans, or Wegman's store brand beans, or whatever brand filter. It's just like, "Okay, I got water, filter, and ground coffee beans? Let's do this shit."

Keurig is for suckers. You're spending $30 to $50 a pound for crap coffee.
Most everyone I know that uses them knows this, and just pay for convenience. Though, there are plenty of reusable k-cup pods where you can spoon in your own coffee grounds for use in the machines, as well as much cheaper brands of already prepared k-cups than what Keurig offers. Except they now can't be used in the new machines because of coffee DRM.

I just want to type out coffee DRM one more time, because it's the dumbest fucking thing ever.

Most everyone I know that uses them knows this, and just pay for convenience. Though, there are plenty of reusable k-cup pods where you can spoon in your own coffee grounds for use in the machines, as well as much cheaper brands of already prepared k-cups than what Keurig offers. Except they now can't be used in the new machines because of coffee DRM.

I just want to type out coffee DRM one more time, because it's the dumbest fucking thing ever.
dude I was going to get one of the new ones that let you make a 4 cup pot or a cup(same 2.0 family) but when that came up I just got a small Bunn machine and called it a day.

So, Keurig has a new k-cup coffee brewer, and I decided to pick one up for my mom, whose previous one had broken.

The "2.0" version has a scanner that scans a barcode on official k-cups before it will allow them to be brewed, meaning that cheaper brands of coffee cannot be used, nor can any reusable k-cups for custom coffees.

Is this what the world has come to? Fucking DRM on coffee? I'm returning that piece of shit tomorrow.
Tassimo did it before Keurig, and paid the price by losing the first round of the single serve market war. Keurig still has a machine that uses the older system (K45) and several others still produce machines that don't use the scanning system (Cuisinart, Hamilton Beach, and others). My wife has the Cuisinart version, because I don't drink coffee, and I figure it won't be long before somebody come up with a "cheat" to get around the scanner for the new machines.

A couple of Christmases ago, my grandmother gave us a Keurig (not that I asked for it, and I had just gotten a brand new Cuisinart, which I loved, the year before, but anyway). The only reason I use the thing is that I can use the reusable k-cups with my own favorite coffees, and I only make 1 cup a day on average. The Cuisinart gets pulled out anytime we have 3 or more people over because at that point the Keurig is too slow. But if the Keurig was "pods-only", I would have told her to take it back, since I've never bought a pod for it and they're a huge waste of money. A pack of 18 pods is double the price of what I pay for some of my favorite flavors of coffee, and the bag will last me at least 30 days.

fade

Staff member
Keurig is for suckers. You're spending $30 to $50 a pound for crap coffee.
What defines "crap" coffee? I bought one knowing full well the cost of the k-cups just because the coffee tasted about 10x better than anything I'd ever made in a drip brewer.

Just to play devil's advocate, Keurig coffee is expensive, but I don't think anyone is being duped. Many people have figured it out and decided it's worth the convenience.

Also, the guy in that article is paying a lot more than I pay through Amazon or by looking for sales. I calculate by cup, not by pound, because this brewer makes more coffee per gram than a drip brewer does. It comes out to about twice as much per cup for the same quality coffee, not the five times as much that article implies. And then when I use a drip machine, a cup or two gets inevitably trashed because you can't just make what you need.

If there's something I do hate about the Keurig, it's the waste. I have the reusable cup, but it completely negates the reason for owning a Keurig. So to my embarrassment, it rarely gets used.

Eh, I'm not trying to defend Keurig--I got mine for free.

Last edited:
What defines "crap" coffee? I bought one knowing full well the cost of the k-cups just because the coffee tasted about 10x better than anything I'd ever made in a drip brewer.
coffee "you" wont drink. IMO

but I am a guy that drinks stuff from the gas station because its just a way to stay awake.

coffee "you" wont drink. IMO

but I am a guy that drinks stuff from the gas station because its just a way to stay awake.
That line of argument is a lot like saying "t-bone steaks are overpriced because I only ever eat Stouffer's frozen salisbury steaks"

I like the taste of the coffee from the keurig better than drip coffee. I drink it so infrequently that regular coffee inevitably goes stale before I use it all. And the price per cup is far lower than Starbucks (which is pretty crap coffee).

Additionally, the guy's characterization of the coffee made in a keurig as "flavorless brew of brown hot water" is a load of hipster ("my own genuine Italian espresso machine at home") bullshit. I've tried several brands of k-cup coffee (keurig and not), and each different coffee has it's own flavor profile, the same as any coffee you brew in a drip machine. But I guess if you don't own a genuine Italian espresso machine, you wouldn't know the sublime taste of heaven that you're missing.

Cost breakdown:
You can get a 72-count pack of k-cups for $40. That's 55 cents a cup.
72 starbucks plain coffees? $1.50 (ish) each, for a total of $108.00
A 33.9 oz can of $10-12 Folgers costs about a dime per 12 oz cup (if you go by the formula on the Folgers website). But really, do you think Captain Hipster with his espresso machine is putting Folgers in it? :)

That said, when my Keurig breaks down, I'll never replace it with a DRM coffee model.

Last edited:
We had a discussion about this in the DRM thread.
Basically their patent expired, and so they had to come up with a new way to keep other people out of their coffee machines, so they went the route of printer cartridges.

--Patrick

I had to produce an entire spreadsheet to figure out how to best sign up for insurance this year. Between my job and the job of Mrs. Size, it's ridiculous how many bad options there are. My favorite part: the Working Spouse penalty, whereby you pay an exorbitant amount (in her case, over $2500) if she covers me and I have a job where I could have bought my own coverage.

On the bright side, I'm once again vindicated in gaining a (forced upon me by computer science) math minor.

fade

Staff member
Additionally, the guy's characterization of the coffee made in a keurig as "flavorless brew of brown hot water" is a load of hipster ("my own genuine Italian espresso machine at home") bullshit. I've tried several brands of k-cup coffee (keurig and not), and each different coffee has it's own flavor profile, the same as any coffee you brew in a drip machine. But I guess if you don't own a genuine Italian espresso machine, you wouldn't know the sublime taste of heaven that you're missing.

Cost breakdown:
You can get a 72-count pack of k-cups for $40. That's 55 cents a cup.
72 starbucks plain coffees? $1.50 (ish) each, for a total of $108.00
A 33.9 oz can of $10-12 Folgers costs about a dime per 12 oz cup (if you go by the formula on the Folgers website). But really, do you think Captain Hipster with his espresso machine is putting Folgers in it? :)

That said, when my Keurig breaks down, I'll never replace it with a DRM coffee model.
Yeah, I hate that that article is making me defend a coffee maker I've always had a love-hate relationship with, but I dislike the article even more.

I want one just because it consolidates so much in the kitchen. We can make coffee, tea, hot chocolate, hot lemonade, flavored coffee, etc. Which is nice when a kid wants something. No hot chocolate powder everywhere.

I don't think I'd get a new one, but I'm sure someone will come up with a work around pretty soon.

The DRM coffee POS has been returned, and has been replaced with this:

This thing doesn't care what kind of coffee is put in it, and can accept k-cups, tea-bags, or even just regular coffee grounds.

fade

Staff member
I think I posted this before, but we are STILL on a waiting list for a new windshield for my wife's car. It's a 2014 Fiat 500L, and apparently no glass shop carries the windshield. It's a dealer only item, and we're on a list, supposedly to be called when one comes in. The windshield cracked in May.

I think I posted this before, but we are STILL on a waiting list for a new windshield for my wife's car. It's a 2014 Fiat 500L, and apparently no glass shop carries the windshield. It's a dealer only item, and we're on a list, supposedly to be called when one comes in. The windshield cracked in May.
The Safelite here can do it tomorrow at 11:30am. Out of pocket quote $528.95 for Solar, W/Third Visor Band, soundproofing. (not counting disposal and taxes). They don't have the Rain Sensor, Solar, W/Third Visor Band, soundproofing.

The DRM coffee POS has been returned, and has been replaced with this:

This thing doesn't care what kind of coffee is put in it, and can accept k-cups, tea-bags, or even just regular coffee grounds.
I think I might need one of those. I have a Keurig, which I like, but it has a problem with the water pump needing to be primed with nearly every use. Pain in my ass. Right now I'm switching between French press and a drip coffee pot. I like the single serve machines because I'm practically the only one who drinks coffee (Aussie has a cup on the weekends) and when Noah would get a cold it was easy to make him a cup of tea at o'dark-thirty. Microwaved water tastes weird to me.

Might just be time to descale your coffee maker.

--Patrick
I'm confused. What does that have to do with using the microwave to heat water and not liking the taste?

I have descaled the Keurig, though, to get the "prime" error to stop. It doesn't seem to help. I have to remove the water tank and replace it each time I get the error. I've heard it's pretty common with these units. I think there is air in the tubing.

I think I might need one of those. I have a Keurig, which I like, but it has a problem with the water pump needing to be primed with nearly every use. Pain in my ass. Right now I'm switching between French press and a drip coffee pot. I like the single serve machines because I'm practically the only one who drinks coffee (Aussie has a cup on the weekends) and when Noah would get a cold it was easy to make him a cup of tea at o'dark-thirty. Microwaved water tastes weird to me.
The bunn doesn't have a water reservoir, so you have to pour in water before each cup. So far in using it, I've just been using the exact same mug I'm going to be using, fill it with water and pour it in, resulting in the perfect amount afterwards. I'm liking it so far, and it makes a cup of coffee really quick.

What does that have to do with using the microwave to heat water and not liking the taste?
It's the opposite, actually. It might not be that you dislike the taste of microwaved water, it might instead be that you have become accustomed to the taste of water that has gone through your other method, the same way you might (as an example) learn to prefer fridge water stored in an iron pot (thereby giving the fridge water more of an iron-y taste).
Similarly, you might just be disliking the taste of microwaved water because there's something in your microwave imparting a taste to water which is microwaved there, the same way that your butter can start to take on the taste of onions if you leave uncovered onions in your fridge.

EDIT: If you do decide to do the Pyrex dish experiment, be careful handling the microwaved water just in case it is superheated.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I wonder what kind of person decaffeinated Bones would be. I remember when I had to go cold turkey off caffeine, it was hell and hangovers for a week.. but after that it was almost like vacation. My stress went down, and those closest to me said they liked me better because I was, and I quote, "way less of an asshole."

Hell, you guys remember how I USED to be, right?