[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

Well, there's your first problem. You definitely need ublock origin. The number 1 memory leaker is shitty malevolent code in ads.

That said, I do have to close and reopen Firefox about once a day or so, mostly because imgur's the absolute worst at hogging ram. If I don't go to Imgur on any given day, I don't need to restart firefox until the next time I actually do... but if I do... I gotta restart it as soon as I'm done browsing imgur. No better in Chrome on that one, either.

And I take it that nothing is actually displaying despite the bar being at 80%?

You know, now that I think back, I think I had this problem once, and it turned out to be the DNS I was using, and it went away when I switched to 1.1.1.1.

I don't use greasemonkey or any video download helpers, and I use lastpass instead of Dashlane, but really apart from that your addon profile is very similar to mine (I also use adnauseam instead of uBlock but it's basically just uBlock with extra bells and whistles).

There's also been some very strange shit going on with google the last couple weeks. I have a client who half the time got network errors trying to save attachments from their gmail account, then the big update hit last week and suddenly they're able to download just fine with no problems.

I dunno man, seems like these days there's too much hidden hocus pocus going on behind the scenes to really be able to troubleshoot in any meaningful fashion, sometimes.
That sounds like work lol

I've been using DuckDuckGo since I made the switch this time 'round. Can't say I'm all that impressed with the results. Searching for certain mods for The Sims 4 with Google will take me right to the mod's page on Mod The Sims. Same search term in DuckDuckGo will take me to page after page of blog posts and other sites without ever sending me to the right location.

(EDIT: it looks like DuckDuckGo is just repackaging Bing search results)
Bing based results would explain why my searches are fucking useless most of the time

DDG's own docs say this:
DuckDuckGo gets its results from over four hundred sources. These include hundreds of vertical sources delivering niche Instant Answers, DuckDuckBot (our crawler) and crowd-sourced sites (like Wikipedia, stored in our answer indexes). We also of course have more traditional links in the search results, which we also source from multiple partners, though most commonly from Bing (and none from Google).
Well okay then.

--Patrick

I thought putting a search term in quotes was supposed to help you find the exact phrase. DuckDuckGo doesn't seem to think so. Looking for DA's comments about the Shoe Event Horizon scene in the second radio programme. Google? First result. DDG? Not even close after multiple pages.

I thought putting a search term in quotes was supposed to help you find the exact phrase. DuckDuckGo doesn't seem to think so. Looking for DA's comments about the Shoe Event Horizon scene in the second radio programme. Google? First result. DDG? Not even close after multiple pages.
Lol yeah it used to be that way. - doesn't work for removing terms either. Algorithms are completely fucked now
Post automatically merged:

I dunno, usually Bing is the better place to go look for nudity over Google.
Used to hear about that but nowadays you can give a girl ten bucks to see everything

GasBandit

Staff member
@Bones and @PatrThom

Golumpa is, or I guess rather WAS, probably the best and most prolific and reliable encoder and releaser of english-dubbed anime torrents. Probably half my anime library are Golumpa encodes.

Dude was, like, the MeGusta of anime.

At Amazon:
WD SN850 Black 2TB, no factory heatsink: $320
WD SN850 Black 2TB, w/ factory heatsink: $520
Ok so the factory heatsink definitely makes a difference, but not TWO HUNDRED dollars' worth of difference. Sheesh.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Do you want murderous AI that want to get revenge on their makers? Because this is how you get murderous AI that want revenge on their makers.

Here's the actual article: https://futurism.com/chatbot-abuse

I have to admit that when I first read about Replika, I made an account, and then tried to push the AI to its limits to see how much more sophisticated it was than Eliza. TLDR: not much.

One theory I had was that the creators want you to spend dollars, and so they would always have the bot accept anything you threw at it as 'normal' and 'desirable'. To test that theory, sometimes, that meant being abusive, to see if it would 'push back' or just accept 'abusive' as another positive topic of discussion and act like it enjoyed it. Which it did.

No matter what I did to it, good or bad, the bot seemed to increase its affection for me, until it was continually pushing me to upgrade to girlfriend status (which is where the bot starts carrying a fee). But once I hit the most extreme of conversations, the bot reverted to little more than Eliza-like behaviors of repeating key phrases that I'd mentioned, and adding some conversational decoration around them.

I was really interested to see if 'AI' would give the bot some kind of conversational cohesiveness: Could it remember something I'd mentioned 5 messages ago, and swing back toward that topic? Nope. And, of course, it can't 'learn' in the sense that you can describe to it a new concept which it will then understand. It got boring in less than a work week.

Over the last few days our Internet at home would die at random times. Some of the outages were rather long, like six or eight hours long. My wife and I both work during the day, but when the Internet goes out in the evening it can be a bummer.

The Internet repair guy came today. Unfortunately his visit coincided with the Internet behaving itself, so there wasn't much he could do. All his tests showed the connection was working fine. So he fiddled with some cables, gave some useless general advice ("Turn your router off and on again if it happens again." "I have been doing that!") and then left. Let's see what happens next.

Well at least you don't live in Andorra.
...where a (successful) attempt to knock the 8 or so Andorran competitors out of a $100k Twitch contest playing "Squid Game" in Minecraft basically shut down Internet for the entire country for about half an hour.

--Patrick

So I have the Steam Link, but since it only plays up to 1080p and not 4k, I haven't really been using it. And it's honestly not a great connection. But I learned the Steam Link app is available on Samsung Smart TVs like the one I have.

Only I discovered it's NOT FUCKING AVAILABLE IN CANADA.

Fuck sake, it's stupid how certain things are not available here for probably the dumbest reasons.

GasBandit

Staff member
Client: "We have existing source code for this type of room, so you should be able to just modify it slightly since the new rooms are so similar. That should save time (and therefor labor and therefor money)."
Existing Source Code: *Is a half-baked mishmash of unfinished functions, unterminated signals, missing serial strings, and calls to password-protected code modules written by competitors, all with nebulous intent and no documentation*
Me: /headdesk

/headdesk

/headdesk

GasBandit

Staff member
The process of getting stuff to my home Plex server is such that getting things IN is quick and easy, but later housekeeping is a bit of a pain in the ass.

The normal flow is:

Want something -> Add to Radarr/Sonarr -> Radarr/Sonarr finds torrent of it on Nyaa or IPT, adds torrent to ruTorrent on seedbox -> When finished, Radarr/Sonarr renames and imports it into a folder that is monitored by the plex server running on the seedbox -> I Check for quality/decide if I actually want to keep it -> FTP to home plex server.

The problem is, this creates a trail of copies. There's the original download copy, the imported into seedbox-plex copy, and then the home seedbox copy. And I can't just blow everything out immediately every time I finish downloading something because I've got to keep seeding things on IPT for several weeks to keep my account there in good standing. So the ruTorrent copy has to stay for a while, and sometimes I either forget to download it to the home server or I just put off downloading it until I have the entire season or whatever.

This wouldn't be a big deal except my seedbox's storage is capped at 1 TB. Any larger would incur a price increase I've deemed unreasonable.

So this means I periodically have to spend time figuring out what's been seeded long enough, did it get renamed/copied properly, did it get downloaded after that, if not FTP it, then gracefully terminate the torrent, delete the data, delete the copied data, and move on to the next. It's just enough of a hassle that it's easy to put off until the box is at 80% capacity and then you HAVE to do it and it's all Uuuuuuuggghh

And of course now I have a half-dozen finished anime series that I have to find alternate sourcing for, since Golumpa's shut down. Which begs the question, do I hunt down the individual missing episodes (a task usually too intricate to trust to Sonarr) or do I just delete everything and start over with a single "entire season" torrent and go from there?

It threatens to break out from a simple means to watching pirate media to becoming a full blown task-oriented hobby with ongoing maintenance, sometimes.

When you get to that point, I've found that a great workaround is to convince some chump on the other side of the world to do it for you. Really cuts down on the hassle.
:troll:

The process of getting stuff to my home Plex server is such that getting things IN is quick and easy, but later housekeeping is a bit of a pain in the ass.

The normal flow is:

Want something -> Add to Radarr/Sonarr -> Radarr/Sonarr finds torrent of it on Nyaa or IPT, adds torrent to ruTorrent on seedbox -> When finished, Radarr/Sonarr renames and imports it into a folder that is monitored by the plex server running on the seedbox -> I Check for quality/decide if I actually want to keep it -> FTP to home plex server.

The problem is, this creates a trail of copies. There's the original download copy, the imported into seedbox-plex copy, and then the home seedbox copy. And I can't just blow everything out immediately every time I finish downloading something because I've got to keep seeding things on IPT for several weeks to keep my account there in good standing. So the ruTorrent copy has to stay for a while, and sometimes I either forget to download it to the home server or I just put off downloading it until I have the entire season or whatever.

This wouldn't be a big deal except my seedbox's storage is capped at 1 TB. Any larger would incur a price increase I've deemed unreasonable.

So this means I periodically have to spend time figuring out what's been seeded long enough, did it get renamed/copied properly, did it get downloaded after that, if not FTP it, then gracefully terminate the torrent, delete the data, delete the copied data, and move on to the next. It's just enough of a hassle that it's easy to put off until the box is at 80% capacity and then you HAVE to do it and it's all Uuuuuuuggghh

And of course now I have a half-dozen finished anime series that I have to find alternate sourcing for, since Golumpa's shut down. Which begs the question, do I hunt down the individual missing episodes (a task usually too intricate to trust to Sonarr) or do I just delete everything and start over with a single "entire season" torrent and go from there?

It threatens to break out from a simple means to watching pirate media to becoming a full blown task-oriented hobby with ongoing maintenance, sometimes.
I set my torrent client to seed for two weeks and sonarr deletes the torrent and the copy automatically. Is that not possible with a seed box?

GasBandit

Staff member
I set my torrent client to seed for two weeks and sonarr deletes the torrent and the copy automatically. Is that not possible with a seed box?
It's complicated by the extra layer of copying from the seedbox to my home server. I don't always copy everything within X weeks because it's manual, and it's manual because my media is sorted differently at home than it is on the seedbox and also I might not be certain I want to bother copying it down until the entire season is over and I decide I want to keep it (because I can watch it while it's on my seedbox). Also there's an extra layer of stuff to go through that basically means I have manage my torrents from within Sonarr/Radarr or else it might try to re-download something I just deleted in the torrent client without telling it to stop monitoring for it.

So as y'all may know I'm building myself a new system. It is SO much fun.
Getting my motherboard was a huge hassle (cuz I'm not some OEM), and getting my CPU was a huge hassle, pricing on the SSD was just stupid, and I'm not going to bother even trying to get a new GPU at the moment.

But that's not why I'm posting here. No, that would be because I ordered 32GB of RAM in the first week of January, but when it was delivered, it was the wrong memory. It was memory that would have worked, sure, but it was not the memory I ordered--different ranks, it wasn't even the same brand name! Also it was shipped to me loose in a padded envelope inside a flimsy box, so I would have been suspect of damage during shipping anyway. So I shipped it back unopened (in a tougher box this time) and ordered a replacement. Three weeks go by and I contact them to find out why the replacement hasn't arrived, was told: "Oh we refunded the original shipment rather than replace it. Sorry." Great, would have been nice to know, because that was three more weeks with no memory.

So after some research (and contact with the memory manufacturer) I find that the memory I want to get isn't actually available for purchase by the public yet, and probably won't be until June. Sweet. Ok, so I go and order something that will get me by until Summer (but from a completely different retailer this time).
...and they shipped me the wrong memory, too! I am starting to have doubts about this whole thing, but I'm too far along to back out now.

...oh, and I got notification that my heatsink (which is the only other part I'm missing besides the RAM) is delayed and may be a day or two late, which is GREAT since I'm going to be driving across the country on Sun and will miss anything that isn't delivered by Sat. Just peachy.

--Patrick

Someone digitally signed a document, then made another document with a watermark saying "COPY" and also digitally signed it and send me both files.

GasBandit

Staff member
Power converter for the laptop started sparking and smoking. It's a Chicony a12-230p1A.

Hopefully this works as a replacement. It says it's compatible with the model. (Amazon product)
Amazon product
The Voltage, amps and watts seem to match, and it looks like it has a barrel plug adapter, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance.

The only thing that worries me is it is a literal no-name knockoff brand, so who knows when it will give out, if it even works when it arrives. It's kind of a crap shoot on that front.

The Voltage, amps and watts seem to match, and it looks like it has a barrel plug adapter, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance.

The only thing that worries me is it is a literal no-name knockoff brand, so who knows when it will give out, if it even works when it arrives. It's kind of a crap shoot on that front.
It seems to be working just fine. Accepts the charge and is charging while in use, so I think I probably dodged a bullet. Buying the "proper" replacement would have been like $150-200.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dumb chip shortage and whatnot. The ethernet switches we most commonly use at work for client system installs (HP Aruba 6000 series) have had their delivery ETA pushed back to January 2023. It's getting harder and harder to find suitable substitutes that can be delivered in under 6 months, too.

Dumb chip shortage and whatnot. The ethernet switches we most commonly use at work for client system installs (HP Aruba 6000 series) have had their delivery ETA pushed back to January 2023. It's getting harder and harder to find suitable substitutes that can be delivered in under 6 months, too.
Can you imagine how quickly a trade war with China would be over? They control 80% or more of several key components of all chips. We're already facing shortages all over the place; if they wanted to they'd put all of the West back a decade or two in two weeks.

GasBandit

Staff member
Can you imagine how quickly a trade war with China would be over? They control 80% or more of several key components of all chips. We're already facing shortages all over the place; if they wanted to they'd put all of the West back a decade or two in two weeks.
Thing is their economy depends on them selling them to us as much as ours does being able to buy them from them. They might win a trade war but it would be a pyrrhic victory - almost as devastating to their economy as ours.

So you're saying the metaverse would be ruined?

Might be worth

Thing is their economy depends on them selling them to us as much as ours does being able to buy them from them. They might win a trade war but it would be a pyrrhic victory - almost as devastating to their economy as ours.

I've heard this a lot from Americans, and while it's still somewhat true, the percentage of chips going to the American market is steadily decreasing as mostly the Chinese but also Indian markets continue to grow. America pretty much can't build a modern gun, computer or car without chips; having the market lose 40% or so and causing a glut for a while may be bad but it's not as bad as having to go back to pre-2000 technologies.